Monday, February 10, 2014

6 Reasons Why the Young Don’t Dig Antiques





....loved this reader's reply!

I have been collecting since I was 19. I’m 50 now. I have two antique booths and a vintage clothing spot. My son who is almost 11 wasn’t really interested until I took him to a garage sale and I told him this ‘I will give you $20.00 – you go find something you think would sell in one of my booths and I will give you what we make off of it minus the costs incurred’. WOW, did that peak his interest.
His first item was a set of two bubble glass wood frames in perfect condition. He bought the set for $30.00 (ok he went over his $20 budget, but I new he couldn’t pass these up – it was such a GOOD pick for his first time). He recently sold them for $98.00 for the set. They lasted about three weeks in the shop. I went through the cost of the item and the percentage our store is entitled to (Curiosities in Beaverton, Oregon) along with a small percentage mom takes to pay for the booth. Once all the math was settled he received $54.00. He was so jazzed he decided to call himself L’il Picker.
We had a sign made and he now has a shelf at Curiosities where he displays and sells his items he finds at local garage and estate sales. I not only found a way to get him interested (and hooked), he’s also learning the business side of things. So much better than playing video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment